The history of the Optics Research Group since 1947.
Prof. dr. A.C.S. van Heel (1899-1966)
Founder of the Optics Group
- 1918 – 1925: Physics study in Leiden; concluded with a dissertation, “The solid body optically examined at low temperatures”, supervisor H. Kamerlingh Onnes.
- 1924 – 1928: (chief) assistant TH Delft (General Sciences).
- Research Topics: Alignment techniques, Optical design, Optical manufacturing, Thin optical layers.
- 1939: Founding of the N.V. van Leers Optical Industry later known as the “De Oude Delft” together with Oscar van Leer.
- 1941: Establishment of the Technical-Physical Service, TNO-TH (Dorgelo initiative).
- 1947: Appointed professor of the Optics group.
Prof. dr. H. de Lang
- 1967 – 1969
- Background: Philips Research.
- Research topics: Thin layer optics, optical metrology, anisotropic media and optical cavities.
Dr. ir. C.A.J. Simons (1937 – 2009)
- Transitional period (1969 – 1970)
- Dissertation: “The application of individual functions in the practice of optical design”, supervisor Prof. H. de Lang (1969).
Dr. ir. W. van Vonno (1941)
- Thesis: “Measurement of the thickness and refractive index of evaporated thin films, supervisor Prof. H. de Lang (1968).
Prof. dr. ir. H.J. Frankena
- Background: electromagnetism.
- Thesis: “Scattering of electromagnetic waves by a class of waveguide discontinuities”, supervisor prof. A.T. de Hoop (1967).
- Research topics: Optical manufacturing, Integrated Optics, Holography and Metrology.
- 1998: Emeritaat.
Prof. dr. ir. Joseph J.M. Braat
- 1988: Part-time professor in geometrical optics at Delft University of Technology.
- 1998: Professor of the Optics Research Group.
- Research topics: Extreme ultraviolet lithography, optical aperture synthesis, high density optical recording and Terahertz imaging. Joseph Braat retired in 2008.
- 1991: Joseph Braat is one of the founders of the European Optical Society (EOS).
- 2008: Emeritaat
- 2019: Joseph Braat, and co-author Peter Török published the book “Imaging Optics”.
Prof. dr. H. Paul Urbach
Present leader of the Optics Research Group
- In 1986 Paul Urbach completed his PhD thesis at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands on the optimization of hydrodynamic propulsion.
- In 1986, he joined Philips Research Laboratory in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- 2000: Part-time professor in diffraction optics at Delft University of Technology.